Today I’m reviewing MAC Cream color base in the shade ‘Improper Copper’ which is part of the permanent collection.
Cream color base from MAC is essentially a multi-purpose cream based product that can be used on different parts of the face – eyes , lips, cheeks – depending on the shade.
Price : Rs 1000
Quantity: 3.2 g
What MAC says about the product :
Versatile and multi-purpose, Cream Colour Base can be applied directly to bare skin, or layered over foundation, moisturizer, or powder. Apply with a brush, sponge, or fingers. Colour effects range from a light veil to highly dramatic, depending on method of application. Fragrance-free. (The following shades are not recommended for use in lip area: Fawntastic and Black. The following shades are not recommended for use in the eye area: Fabulush and Improper Copper.
View other shades on
Ingredients : Octyldodecanol, Simmondsia chinesis (Jojoba) seed oil, Synthetic beeswax, Butyrospermum parkii (shea butter), Silica, Jojoba esters, Copernica cerifera (Carnauba) waz/ Cera carnauba/ Cire de carnauba, Ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, Paraffin, Hydrogenated polyisobutene, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl palmitate, Alumina, Polybutene, PVP/hexadecene copolymer, Stearic acid, [+/- Mica, Titanium dioxide (CI 77891), Iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Bismuth oxychloride (CI 77163), Blue I lake (CI 42090), Carmine (CI 75470). Chromium oxide greens (CI 77288), Ferric ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Red 6 (CI 15850), Red 7 lake (CI 15850), Red 28 lake (CI 45410), Red 30 lake (CI 73360), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Yellow 5 lake (CI 19140), Yellow 10 lake (CI 47005)]
My take on the product :
I had gone to purchase MAC CCB in the shade ‘Hush’ after reading a lot of reviews about it but sadly it was out of stock. The MUA tried this on me and I liked it (though not as much as Hush) and purchased it. While Hush is a peachy shade with icy shimmer (as described on MAC website), Improper Copper is a true copper shade with high karat gold.
It appears more copper in the pan but on the skin, it looks more of a bronzy gold. The texture is very smooth, the shimmery non-gritty and coverage in single swipe is sheer which can be built up by layering the product. Even though MAC says it is not to be used on the eye area, the MUA told me it is safe and I have not experienced any discomfort/irritation so far.
Unlike paintpots which set into a waterproof finish after few seconds of application, MAC CCB does not. So if you wear it alone on the eyes, it will crease in some time especially if you layer too much product. The best use I have found for it is highlighting– on brow bone, inner corner of the eyes , cupids bow and cheek bones. It can also be used as a base for eye shadows but it still creases on my oily lids after few hours of wear.
The shade is perfect for warm skin tones and it can be worn both for a subtle day or an evening party look. In the images in this post I’ve worn it in a subtle way- used it all over lid, inner corner, tear duct, brow bone and cheek bone. It gives a very appealing warm glow to the face without too much shimmer or color. Layering the product builds up color.
To summarize what this product DOES and what it DOESN’T-
- It is a multipurpose cream formulation that can be used to highlight the high points of the face.
- It blends well with other products.
- It contains gold shimmers which is very fine and non-gritty- gives glow to the face when used on cheeks.
- It DOES NOT set on application like paint pots so it WILL crease if worn alone over eyes as eye shadow.
- It DOES NOT help eye shadows stay longer since it creases.
The GOOD about MAC Cream color base ‘Improper Copper –
- Sturdy classic black MAC packaging with transparent lid for easy identification of product.
- Smooth texture, good pigmentation.
- Shimmer is fine, non gritty , densely and evenly distributed in the product.
- Multi-purpose : can be used on different parts of the face.
- The shade ‘Improper Copper’ would suit Indian skin tones beautifully.
- Gives soft glow to the face when applied on cheek bones.
- Gives a bright appearance to eyes when used on inner corner and tear duct.
- Lasts for 5-6 hours if you don’t intentionally wipe it off.
- The shade will suit all skin tones- from fair to dusky.
- Can be used in the day time as well as evening.
- Small quantity of product required in each application.
- Can be applied by brush, sponge or finger.
- Cannot be used a eye shadow base since it creases.
- Cream formulation may not suit oily skin (for cheeks)
This is how it looks on me-
I have applied MAC CCB ‘Improper Copper’ all over lid, inner corner, brow bone, bridge of the nose and on the cheek bones.
Overall Verdict : It is coppery gold multi purpose cream formulation- best used as a highlighter that transforms to a more bronzy gold color on the skin. The texture is smooth and pigmented, gives sheer color/shimmer in single swipe which is buildable. The shade suits Indian skins beautifully- gives a subtle glow to the face when used as cheek highlighter. One of the best highlighters I’ve used for the eyes- gives a bright appearance when used on inner corners and tear duct. If used as eye shadow or eye shadow base, it creases within 2 hours of application. The shimmer is very densely packed but subtle enough for day wear too. It blends very easily giving more of a sheen than color.
Its not a must-have if you have other highlighter that work well for you but its a good product to have because of its versatility and shade.
May not suit oily skins since its cream based.
Rating : 4.25/5
Will I repurchase : I won’t need to!
Have you tried MAC Cream color base?
You might also like to read :