Dandruff can be an embarrassing problem and is often common in summer and rainy season. Anti-dandruff shampoos provide some relief but can often be harsh on the scalp and hair. Home remedies can be very effective against dandruff when used regularly, and don’t have any adverse effects unlike strong synthetic chemical products.
Here are 10 all-natural remedies to get rid of dandruff –
1. Coconut oil and lemon massage : Lemon’s citric property works wonders, by reducing dandruff. Heat two tablespoons of coconut oil and mix it with an equal amount of lemon juice. Gently massage the mixture into your scalp and leave it for 15-20 minutes. Rinse off your hair, using a mild shampoo.
2. Neem leaves are known for their anti-fungal properties and are quite effective against dandruff. Grind the neem leaves and make a thick paste and apply it on your scalp. Leave the paste for 10-15 minutes and then rinse your hair.
3. Tea tree oil is renowned for its fungicidal properties, making it an excellent remedy for dandruff. Add a few drops of tea tree oil to your shampoo and massage it into your scalp for a natural alternative to harsh cosmetic shampoos. This simple kitchen ingredient is quite effective to treat dandruff as it has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.
4. Soak some fenugreek seeds (methi dana) and grind them to make a paste. Apply the paste on your scalp and leave it for 20-30 minutes, before washing it off with a mild shampoo.
5. Aspirin certainly is a miracle drug, and it even works as one of the better home remedies for dandruff. The active ingredient in aspirin, salicylates is well known for treating dandruff. Crush two tablets of aspirin and mix it with your shampoo. Leave it on your hair for 3-4 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water.
6. Baking soda works as an excellent, gentle exfoliating agent that removes dead skin. Mix baking soda with your shampoo and wash your hair or simply make a paste by adding some water to the powder. Leave it on your hair for 2-3 minutes and then rinse thoroughly while massaging the scalp. The flakes stuck to the scalp will be removed in a single wash.
7. Vinegar is well known for treating dandruff and also it reduces itchiness and flaking. Mix vinegar and water in equal parts and apply it on your hair. Massage the hair well and leave it on for 15 minutes. Rinse well and repeat the procedure at least thrice a week to eliminate dandruff.
8. Olive oil will eliminate dandruff quickly, as it moisturizes the dry scalp and is loosens dry flakes as you massage it. Massage olive oil into the scalp before going to bed and wash your hair the following morning.
9. Aloe Vera not only cleans the scalp, but it also soothes and heals it. It is a perfect dandruff remedy because of its fungicidal and antibacterial properties. Apply the aloe vera gel on your hair and leave it on for 15-20 minutes. You can then wash your hair using a mild shampoo.
10. Garlic has excellent anti-fungal properties and thus provide instant relief from irritation and flakes of dandruff. Crush the garlic and mix it with water. Apply it to your scalp and leave it on for a while. Rinse your hair well and use a mild shampoo to eliminate the smell.
Natural remedies can do wonders for your skin and hair but do keep in mind that they take some time to completely eliminate the problem and need to be done religiously for long lasting results. Hope you found these tips and remedies helpful! You can find many more useful hair care tips at www.rewardme.in.